I love to make (and eat!) beautiful, colorful food, especially for breakfast, because beautiful food makes me happy even before I eat it. Happy before breakfast, that’s my thing. Beautiful food makes my eyes dance with joy, makes my mouth water and fills me up with massive anticipation just by looking at it. And when that beautiful food also smells outta this world insanely good, well, that’s an all around party for all the senses.
This quinoa chia porridge ticks all these boxes. Even before it’s ready, you will know it will taste amazing, because while it slowly simmers away it will fill your kitchen and your house with the most amazing aromas on earth. Neighbors will come knocking. Vanilla bean, cinnamon and cardamom spices wrapped in a hot milk and caramelized stone fruit flavor will float and dance all around you, inviting you to do a little happy dance as well. Just go with it, even if for the mere reason that you’ll want time to pass quicker until the porridge is ready.
This, my friends, is morning comfort food at its bestest.
- 3/4 cups quinoa
- 2 cups almond milk (or your favorite nut milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP coconut butter (optional)
- 2 TBSP sweetener of choice (raw honey, maple syrup)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 ’empty’ vanilla pod (after I scrape the vanilla seeds and use them in whatever recipes, I keep the pods and use them to flavor porridge like this or other liquids)
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 slices of fresh turmeric (or 1/2 tsp ground turmeric)
- a handful of currants (or raisins)
- 1/3 fresh peach, roughly sliced/chopped
- 1/3 fresh nectarine, roughly sliced/chopped
- Toppings: the rest of the fresh peach and fresh nectarine, plus fresh figs, coconut flakes, almonds, fresh thyme
- Add all the ingredients for the porridge to a pot and place on medium to low heat.
- Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to the minimum.
- Simmer until cooked, covered, stirring every now and then and making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom (a small cast iron casserole is good for this).
- Once ready, add the toppings and serve warm.